Cranford, NJ 07016
40th Anniversary logoThe Computing Laboratory of the University of Durham, located in Kings College, Newcastle, was established in 1957 and became the Computing Laboratory of The University of Newcastle upon Tyne when that institution was created in 1963. The Laboratory discharged both academic and service responsibilities for computing in the University until 1991 when these functions were separated and the Department of Computing Science and the University Computing Service created. The Department became the School of Computing Science in August 2002 under the University’s restructuring programme, though changes were relatively minor.
Postgraduate teaching commenced around 1960 and an undergraduate honors degree programme (the second in the country) produced its first graduates in 1969. The Department was the first in the country to offer an SRC-approved Advanced MSc, in Computing Software and System Design, from 1974.
In 1997 the Department (as it was then known) celebrated its 40th Anniversary.